Sunday 9 March 2014

A Book Review


 
 
 
In the End - a small apocalypse.
In the End is a small novel (only 218 pages Amazon) form Edward M Wolfe, following a limited number of survivors after an apparent nuclear attack on Denver.  
The writing is paced beautifully; in a clear, no nonsense style that pulls you along, tantalising with some lovely hooks as it goes. Once I was half way through, I needed to finish, because I was so wrapped up in the character’s situations. The plot felt realistic in its mechanics, resolving all the threads nicely in a finale involving them all. True, it was sign-posted and any seasoned reader might see it coming, but the read’s so enjoyable that I didn’t mind.
It’s not Alas Babylon, Fail Safe or On The Beach, but it’s a very enjoyable way to spend a few hours getting to know these characters and their world.
There are negatives, hence the four stars (I would really have given 3 and half, but don’t have that option. I ‘m a hard ass when it comes to reviews; 3 and half is good).  The novel is too short. There’s a situation involving Mormons which should in my opinion have been longer.  The characterisation is okay, but at the beginning, I felt they were a little flat – these two points are just nit picking because the issues didn’t detract from a great read. Also, some of the characters made choices which I felt were less than sensible under the circumstances.  But that’s people right, making mistakes.
A good read and I would read more of this guy’s work.
Recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment